Jewish Corn Bread

"Bonni Brown" <bonnibakes@hotmail.com>
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 08:31:51 -0500
v102.n059.1
Kathy asked about Jewish Corn Bread. I grew up in Brooklyn and it was a
staple in local bakeries where it was baked in mammoth loaves. You bought
it by the pound and a chunk was cut off and weighed. George Greenstein, in
his book "Secrets of a Jewish Baker", has a recipe. There is no corn in it
and the name refers to a "corning process", if I recall correctly. The
bread, as described by your husband Kathy, is a moist rye bread with a
crisp crust. You can pick out pieces of the interior, roll it into small
dense bread balls and throw them across the table at your brother. Whoops,
maybe I've given too much away!

I've made George's version but have been disappointed as it did not come
close to corn bread that I remember. If someone has a different recipe, I'd
love to try it.

Bonni Brown (now throwing bread balls in Florida)