Re: spelt bread

"Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 13:34:14 -0700
v102.n058.5
On 8 Dec 2002 "Kay Greene" <kay.greene@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

 > I am a bread baker with a problem! I make bread using Spelt flour.
 > Often, but not always, I have "caves" in the center of my loaves. I
 > cannot figure out the reason for these holes. Does anyone have any
 > ideas? I make all of our beread, and I'm getting tired of the
 > "hole-in-the-middle" syndrome!

I played with spelt flour a while back, and never was convinced it was
worth the extra money.  It was nice enough, but not that nice.  But... on
to your problem.

I'd guess the usual cause of large holes in the middle of a loaf would be
either too dry a dough or a loaf forming technique which could be improved.

I'd try making your dough a bit wetter.  I can't comment on your loaf
forming techniques since I don't know what type of loaf you are making
(pan, freeform, banneton or brotformen shaped, or whatever), or what you
are doing now.  Still, I'd try to tighten up your loaves.

If, on the other hand, the holes are just below the crust, that's another
matter.  Again, too dry a dough can contribute, as can poor loaf forming
techniques. However, letting the top of the dough fry out too much can also
be an issue - oiling or covering the loaf can prevent the drying, as can
slashing the loaf as you slide it into the oven.

Good luck,
Mike