Jewish Corn Bread

"nkk" <nkk77@aspi.net>
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 17:11:47 -0500
v102.n058.1
My husband grew up in the Bronx in the 1950s.  For years he has been
telling me about a corn bread his father bought from one of the Jewish
bakeries (probably Zaro's).  It was not a cake-type cornbread leavened with
baking powder, but a yeast bread made with rye flour.  It was a round,
hearth-type loaf, dense, moist and heavy with a chewy crust.  It may not
have contained any cornmeal at all.  Could the name "corn bread" refer to
something other than cornmeal?  Anyway, does anyone know what he's talking
about?  If you do, can you give me more of an idea of what was in it?  I'm
the baker in the family.  Better yet, does anyone have a recipe.  Thanks so
much and very happy holidays to all!  Kathy