hallah problems

<glezer@mindspring.com>
Sun, 08 Dec 2002 11:41:25 -0500
v102.n057.7
Hi Michael,

 > Although the bread tastes perfectly delicious, I get "stretched" areas
 > where the braids meet, which fail to brown as nicely as the rest of the
loaf.

You are missing a few bits of information in your message­­how much sugar
is in your dough and for how long are you baking the bread­­ for me to
fully diagnose your problem, but I do have a few suggestions.

I see the "problem" you describe when breads brown very quickly (I don't
really think its a true problem unless this look really bugs you). You
could try to just bake the bread a little longer, tenting it with foil if
the extremities are starting to color too much. Or try baking at 325, but
also for a longer time.

I usually bake a 1-pound hallah for 30-35 minutes at 325 F if there is a
lot of sugar in the dough, or at 350 F if it is less sweet.  For hallahs
with no sugar, I bake at 400 F for the same amount of time.

Hope this helps!

Maggie Glezer (who is currently at work on a book about hallah!)