Thanksgiving breakfast bread

Gonzo White <gonzow@prodigy.net.mx>
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 17:42:31 -0600
v102.n054.24
Cranberry Orange Loaf

Makes a great gift during the holidays!

I live in Mexico and I originally found something like this recipe on the
internet. It had 2 or 3 items that I couldn't buy down here like fresh
cranberries. So I changed it around a bit and it came out wonderful. I make
this all year round. It's my favorite quick bread recipe.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Grated rind of one orange ( I use 1 Tablespoon of dried Orange Peel )
1 can of whole berry cranberries
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup orange juice

Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Grease a 9 x 5 x 3-inch pan; set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Stir in
orange rind, cranberries, and nuts. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar, and egg with electric mixer until
smooth. Blend in orange juice. Stir in flour mixture, stirring until just
combined.

Spoon into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour, or until wooden pick inserted
in center comes out clean.  This makes a bit more then one loaf, I always
put a little about 1 1/2 cups in a separate (greased)  bowl and bake both
at the same time. Let stand for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Cool
on wire rack. Wrap tightly to store.

This makes more then one big loaf, you might want to put into 4 or 5 small
bowls, I use a medium size clay bowl I purchased in the Mercado and just
spray it with pam and the bread pops right out after baking. It's a funny
shape (round) It looks like a huge muffin, but it tastes great. Or you can
use two loaf pans and get two smaller loafs.