misc. bread machine hints

"herblady" <herblady@netnitco.net>
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 02:01:02 -0800
v102.n054.5
I found this in my notes from a class I gave several years ago. I checked
and it is still valid.

DATE CODE INFO. for Red Star Yeast:
1# INSTANT ACTIVE DRY YEAST package: on the bottom of package
2# ACTIVE DRY YEAST package.
The first number is a notation for the year. For instance if it is a 6, the
yeast was made in 1996. The following 3 numbers are the Julian calendar day
of the year (March 3, 1996 would read 6062). The remaining numbers are the
manufacturers code. Vacuum sealed the packages will keep for one year
unopened. Take out small amount and put in small dark jar and keep in
fridge. Reseal the rest tightly (ziploc) and freeze. Will keep 9 mos in
freezer.

To measure flour properly, stir to aerate it, then lightly spoon mixture
into measuring cup, then level it with straight edge of knife. Don't scoop
or tap down; it will give you extra flour and can make bread heavy and dry.
Dusting raisins and dried fruits with flour or cinnamon will help them
separate and mix into the dough. Also works with craisins and dried cherries.

gram/ruth