Re: using a scale

Bill Stanford <stanfords@optusnet.com.au>
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 22:26:01 +1000
v102.n041.15
Hi all...

Ed Okie's advice here is worth breaking mailing list good form for, and
putting up again, with the added comment: he's right!

Thirty odd years ago, when I had my first bout with bread baking, there
were a lot of things I had to learn - bread flour as against plain flour,
bread improver as against no improver, the use of gluten with rye, the
importance of good stone ground wholemeal, overnight rises...

But even when armed with quite a bit of knowledge and experience, I was
never satisfied with my breads. And I couldn't seem to learn from my
mistakes, as nothing ever repeated.  Now though in my 2nd incarnation as a
baker, I can make predictably good loaves, day in day out.

And the difference is: a good set of metric scales!  Along with this, the
concept of a 750gm loaf, with about 300ml(grams) of water and 450gm of
flour.  With many variations around this norm; but variations with
predictable outcomes.

It sounds altogether too simple, but Ed's right!

Bill
stanfords@optusnet.com.au