Re: bread storage

"Elizabeth" <griffa@labyrinth.net>
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 12:00:56 -0400
v102.n041.1
You know, Okie, I haven't found a good solution to this, either, though
I've seen a cloth-type bag with a zip-lock liner for sale, don't know if it
works (wouldn't that just be the same as a zip-lock bag?  ;P).  I've tried
a bread box, can't say that works too well.  There are cellophane bags with
tiny pores in them [?] that I've tried, don't work too well.  I've tried
keeping it in the fridge or freezer, but then it gets that "fridge or
thawed taste/smell" which is yucko.  I have heard you can place a stalk of
celery in with the bread, but haven't tried that.  I have read that by
adding an enzyme called maltogenic amylase to the flour, bread stays
fresher longer. Didn't know anything about that substance, so didn't do
that.  Anyhow, everything just got stale and/or soggy, so...know what I do
now?  Whatever is left after a couple days gets toasted, made into French
toast, bread crumbs, croutons, tossed in soup, salad, bread pudding, etc. I
generally bake two large ww loaves at once, with flaxseed and oat bran and
wheat germ and sunflower seeds in them.  I use dough enhancer and malt and
vital gluten.