Re: WholeWheat Bread

"Ben McGehee" <Ben_McGehee@asburyseminary.edu>
Tue, 03 Sep 2002 17:32:20 -0400
v102.n039.16
uma iyer writes:
 >I just made the wholewheat bread from the 'Bread Bakers Apprentice'. It
 >It was delicious. There was one problem though-the dough rose to fill
 >about half the loaf pan.

Many things could have gone wrong. First off, what size pan are you using?
I think his recipes call for 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 pans instead of the 9x5 pans
that some people have. It may not have proofed long enough. The times given
are not absolute, but guidelines. You may have been too rough in the
handling of the dough, causing all the air to squeeze out. You may need to
add a little water to the recipe so that the dough is not too stiff to rise
properly. You may not have halved the recipe correctly. When I make loaf
bread, the dough fills up half the pan before I let it proof, and rises
over the top of the pan before I put it in the oven. There are probably
some other things that you could also try that other people could point
out. At least it was delicious :)

Ben McGehee