Pump sprays

Tarheel_Boy@webtv.net (Tarheel Boy)
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 11:06:18 -0400 (EDT)
v102.n039.7
Max Priola writes:  <<Several people have expressed doubts about the value
of a pump spray. I have used mine for a couple of weeks and also haven't
noticed any difference in the bread's structure. I was hoping that the
spray might eliminate the hair-line cracks which appear on the crust as the
bread cools, but it didn't help much.

Any ideas about eliminating these cracks? Doesn't seem to have anything to
do with the bread's hydration, as it happens not only with dense breads,
but also even with 75 - 80% hydration.

The spray came in very handy in baking taralli, an Italian savoury biscuit.
It gives them a very nice shiny surface and a golden colour.>>

Ahhh, Max.  I love the hair-line cracks that appear on the crust of my
cooling bread.  Put your ear down close and listen to your bread sing to
you.  I think the cracks give the bread character.  Leave the cracks,
impress your friends.  ;-)))  Now, may I please have the recipe for taralli?

Thanks.  Bob the Tarheel Baker