shaping loaves, a stuffed loaf

Haacknjack@aol.com
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 09:43:23 EDT
v102.n039.3
"D. Beeckler" <dmbeeckl@scrtc.com> asked about shaping dough...

To get a nice, even loaf shape, flatten out your dough (while keeping the
WIDTH an inch or so NARROWER than the LENGTH of your pan!!).  The flatter
you can get it, the more even your loaf will be in the end.  You can pat it
out or use your rolling pin; be sure there is a LITTLE flour on your board
(or use a non-stick cookie tin liner such as Sil-Pat, or spray your work
surface with cooking spray -- though this last may make it harder for your
loaf to adhere to itself).  Roll up the dough from a narrow end; if the
dough is quite stiff, you can help it stick to itself by pinching the dough
on the board to the already-rolled dough every half-turn or so.  (Or, you
can brush the top of the rolled-out rectangle with whatever liquid you used
in the bread -- milk or water -- very lightly to make the dough tacky
enough to adhere.  Once the roll is complete, pinch the "seam" (the end of
the dough that was on the far end when you started) to the roll.  I usually
then roll the whole affair back and forth a few times to "cement" it.  THEN
pinch the ends together (top to bottom), encasing the interior layers, to
make a nice heel.  Put the completed loaf in the pan seam side DOWN.  Slash
the top if you like (kind of like putting a divider in poured concrete,
this gives any tearing a place to happen) and let rise.  (If you're
considering a stuffed bread, you distribute a thinnish layer of your
ingredients (cinnamon sugar? Ham 'n cheese?  Pesto?  Olives?) over the
rolled-out rectangle and proceed as above -- just be sure to leave an inch
or so UNCOVERED all around to allow for the pinching/sealing so your
filling doesn't run out.

And Carolyn <drsnooks@buffnet.net> asked about "filled bread"...

and speaking of filled bread -- here is a recipe from January 2001 Cooking
Light which I have made often.  I'm sending the recipe as printed; I
usually use KA's White Wheat Flour or regular whole wheat for 1 or 2 cups
of the flour, and I make it up into 6 mini-buns which are perfect for my
teenager's lunch.  The whole loaf, though, is a very pretty
presentation.  You can stuff it with anything (PERFECT for that
half-a-pork-chop that didn't get eaten last night!)

Ham-and-Swiss Stromboli

3 cups bread flour (or substitute up to equal amount of whole wheat flour)
1 cup warm water
1 Tablespoon nonfat dry milk
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2.5 teaspoons bread-machine yeast (if by hand, use active dry yeast)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry (ground) mustard
1/2 cup minced ham (3 oz)
1/2 cup minced Swiss cheese (3 oz)
1.5 teaspoons cornmeal
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Bread machine:  Follow manufacturer's instructions for placing flour,
water, dry milk, olive oil, yeast, salt & ground mustard into bread pan;
select dough cycle & start bread machine.  Remove dough from machine -- DO
NOT BAKE.

By hand:  Dissolve yeast in water; combine flour, dry milk, salt & mustard.
Add proofed yeast & olive oil; knead well.  Let rise until double in bulk.

After rising, roll dough into 10 x 8" oval on lightly floured surface.
Sprinkle the ham and cheese onto half of the oval, lengthwise, leaving a 1"
border.  Fold dough over filling and press the edged and ends together to
seal (be sure to seal firmly or melted cheese will leak out.)  (for
individual "pocked sandwiches", divide dough into 6 or 8 equal portions;
roll out in a circle.  Put filling in the middle; pinch together from outer
edge to center at three equally-spaced points to form a rough triangle
completely enclosing the filling.  Bring the three points together and
pinch well to form a rough hexagon.  Put seam-side-down on baking sheet to
rise.)

Once bread is filled and sealed, place seam-side down on prepared baking
sheet.  If making one large loaf, slash 1/4" deep diagonally across top,
three places.  (I don't slash the individual loaves.)  Brush with egg (try
not to get it down into the slashes of the whole loaf) and let rise in a
warm, draft-free place until doubled in bulk, about an hour.  (Don't cover
it, you want the egg wash to dry.)

Prepare baking sheet by covering with parchment paper (or non-stick mat)
(this protects against leaking filling) and dusting lightly with corn meal.
Preheat oven to 350 F

Brush again with egg and bake at 350 F for about 35 minutes for the large
loaf, about 20 for the individuals ones.  Glaze should be shiny and golden
brown, bottom should also be browned and crusty.  (The usual test of
tapping the bottom for a hollow sound doesn't work due to the filling.)

Can be served warm or at room temperature.