Re: Proofing yeast

Tarheel_Boy@webtv.net (Tarheel Boy)
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 10:29:06 -0400 (EDT)
v102.n038.3
John Wright writes (I like that):  Instant yeast, dried active yeast, fresh
yeast they all work the same once they get going ( I know that's not
strictly true but if I see another post from a fanatic who is convinced
that the reason for his failures is the yeast rather than his sloppy
technique I'll stop breathing) but dried active and fresh need reviving
before you use them whereas "instant" or "ready mix" or "quick mix" or
"quick" yeast has sufficient live cells to revive if it's mixed with the
flour and that's the key to finding out which type of yeast you've got.

Good on ya, John!  Give those fanatics hell!  One more thing on yeast and
then I will shut up lest I be accused of being a fanatic (just kidding,
John).  Modern yeast manufacturers have developed their process so well
that ninety-nine times out of a hundred, you don't have to proof active dry
yeast anymore.  I still use instant yeast because of the convenience and
the fact that about 90% of the yeast cells are still alive as opposed to
about 50% in active dry yeast.  What shall we talk about next?  Bob the
Tarheel Baker