Overnight Rising

"kylewarendorf@myvzw.com" <kylewarendorf@myvzw.com>
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 16:23:45 -0400
v102.n036.13
I have seen several posts about overnight rising. Here's my 2 cents. I am a
big fan of retarding shaped loaves overnight in the fridge. I do this only
with sourdough breads. The wild yeast seems to be much more in tune with
the very long second rise than commercial yeast. I mix the dough and let it
ferment for up to 4 hours at room temp. Then I shape the loaves, cover them
with plastic and throw 'em into the fridge. You need to make sure that the
loaves are completely  enveloped in plastic. I use a layer of plastic wrap
on top of the rising baske and then throw multiple loaves into a garbage
bag. the next morning I take them out of the fridge and out of the garbage
bags. They need to come to room tem and finish proofing. This can take any
where from 1-4 hours. Then they go into the oven. I find the increased
flavor to be well worth the extra time.

KyleW