Sheepherders bread

Pat Robb <pat_robb@pacbell.net>
Tue, 06 Aug 2002 09:01:58 -0700
v102.n034.14
I have the original recipe, torn from an issue of Sunset Magazine, which
has been moved from file to file for years.  I didn't think it would work,
so I never tried it.  But I kept that recipe.  Now, after all these years
it turns up here on bbd.  I read all of this with great interest and
decided to give it a try for the family dinner on Sunday.  My ancient
Kitchen Aid managed all 9 1/2 cups of flour and I baked it in my late
mother's cast iron dutch oven.  It was her mother's as well, so it's been
around.  The dough actually did lift the 5 lb. lid.  And I baked it in my
Hearthkit lined oven.  Took a little longer than the recipe said, and the
lid stuck to the dough a bit.  I think next time I will put a small circle
of greased parchment between the dough and the lid.  The whole process
created a kitchen full of observers who didn't think it would work.  But,
the loaf was immense, with a golden crust and simply delicous.  Everyone
took some home and my daughters both ordered cast iron dutch ovens on
Monday.  My leftovers made an exceptional bread pudding.  The texture of
the loaf is similar to pain de mie.  I'm thinking I might like to vary the
flavor a bit - some white whole wheat or maybe some rye blend substituted
for part of the all purpose flour.  Or maybe try a 9 1/2 C. recipe of
sourdough.  Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Pat Robb