buns

Lobo <lobo119@att.net>
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 13:26:02 -0700
v102.n032.7
I was recently looking for my aunt's wonderful bun recipe (it's at the end
of this) and ran across several others for overnight buns.  (I hunted
through old church cookbooks.)  I didn't make the overnight one ... it
seemed silly to me.  Does anyone know what the point is?  Have you tested
such a recipe, and is it any better than a recipe you can complete in one
morning or evening?  The second recipe (Edna's Buns) is fantastic.

OVERNIGHT BUNS

1-2 pkg yeast
3 c lukewarm water
1/2 c shortening
1 t salt
1 c sugar
2 eggs
about 12 c flour

Start at 5 p.m.  Proof yeast in some of the water with a tsp of sugar.  Mix
all ingredients and knead, adding flour until you have a soft dough.  Put
in bowl.  Knead down every hour.  Shape into buns about 9 or 10 pm and let
rise all night.  Bake early the next a.m. in 400 F oven.

EDNA'S BUNS
Can do in an evening

Dissolve:
1 lg. cake yeast in:
1/2 warm  water with:
1 t. sugar

Scald: 1 C. milk (Edna crossed this out and said water, but I like it with
milk) and 2 c. water

Cool, add yeast and flour to make a sponge (about 4 cups).  Let set until
bubbly, about 1/2 hr.

Keep warm, then add:
1/2 c. soft lard
1/2 c. sugar
1 T. salt
enough flour to make soft dough (about 6 c)

Mix down and let rise again.  Shape and let rise.  Bake at 350 F for 12-22
minutes.  Makes 3 dozen.