Re: Sheepherder's Bread (What fun!)

Walter Johnson <walterjohnson@mac.com>
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 13:26:59 -0600
v102.n031.8
 > From: Sandy Greathouse <Muzzley@onecom.com>
 > Subject: Sheepherder's Bread
 > Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 09:12:07 -0400
 >

 > I've not tried this recipe yet....someone requested it on another recipe
 > list I'm on, and I posted it. It sounds absolutely delicious!!
 >
 > Sheepherder's Bread

My father in law pointed this recipe out to me when it was published in
Sunset and I have been having fun with it ever since.

I mix it up in a new wimpy Kitchen Aid until it starts crawling up the
dough hook and then turn it out and mix in the remaining flour by hand. I
don't do a lot of dutch oven cooking, so I have been working on baking this
recipe on a flat baking stone. When all goes well it produces a HUGE_
fluffy round loaf that barely fits in my oven. When I'm not as careful or
lucky I get a heavier loaf that is flatter. I believe that the key is in
the shaping. After the first rise, I shape it into a ball by stretching the
outside down and under, pushing it into the middle of the bottom. I do this
a little at a time rotating the dough as I go. If I stop just as I feel the
dough tighten up, I get a tall fluffy round loaf. After shaping, I let it
rise again on a round baking stone sprinkled with cornmeal. I shaped one
for too long (I could feel the gluten strands breaking) and during the
second rise the loaf split into 4 wedge shaped pieces. I baked it anyway,
and it tasted good although it looked like a disaster.

I give the best loaves away as gifts, and people are always amazed at the
size and appearance of the loaf.