Baking Stones

"Frederick J. Krall" <fkrall@att.net>
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 08:08:17 -0400
v102.n031.5
Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but rather than a new-fangled baking stone, I
simply use quarry tiles, which any good tile store will carry.  6 of them
are sufficient for a standard oven.  I use cornmeal to prevent sticking.

I'd let you know the price, but since I've had mine for 20 years, I can't
remember!

Using these tiles, I get great crust on artisan breads thusly:  Beneath the
tiles, I include a dry baking pan containing gas-grill briquettes (don't
crowd them) as I preheat the oven to 50 F above baking temp.  When the
oven's preheated, I pour one cup of boiling water into the pan, close the
door, and drop the temp to the baking target.  I don't touch it thereafter,
no spritz, no sprays, like I mean, nada.  This holds the oven to temp and
contains the steam.  I've read separately that oven temp drops 50 F every
time you open the door.  (Cover the oven-door glass with a dry towel to
prevent spills from cracking it.  Remove the towel before closing the door!)

Separately, thanks to all who provided Lebkuchen recipes and their
perspective on the Magic Mill mixer.  I'm awash in info and will have a
ball sorting it all out!

Rick Krall