Re: Pfeffernusse (Pepper Nuts)

Sandy Greathouse <Muzzley@onecom.com>
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 11:42:50 -0400
v102.n028.3
Pfeffernusse (Peppernuts)

2 eggs
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
Grated rind of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon citron, chopped fine
1 tablespoon candied orange peel, chopped fine
1/4 cup grated unblanched almonds
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Generous pinch of baking soda
3 heaping cups all-purpose flour
Rum
Confectioner's sugar, or icing (optional)

Beat eggs with brown and white sugars1 hour by hand or 15 minutes with
electric mixer. Mixture should be very thick and pale in color. Add grated
lemon rind, candied fruit, almonds and spices, and mix well. Sift flour
together with baking soda and mix into egg-sugar batter. Knead dough on
floured board until smooth. Shape into long rolls of about 1-inch in
diameter, and cut in 1/2-to-3/4-inch slices. Arrange on greased cookie
sheet and let dry, uncovered, at room temperature, overnight. Turn cookies
over just before baking in preheated 300=B0 oven 20 minutes, or until they
test done. Sprinkle warm cookies with rum, and roll in confectioners' sugar
while warm. Sprinkle with powdered sugar again before serving. Or if
preferred, you can ice with a confectioners' sugar icing.

Peppernuts keep almost forever if store in a tightly covered container.

Makes about 115 cookies

Source: This is the recipe I use....it's from Mimi Sheraton's "The German
Cookbook". I love this spicy cookie, their great for dunking!

Just in case you want to make your own candied orange or citrus
peel....here's a recipe I found recently and going to make before the
Holidays so I'll have it on hand. I bought mine previously in a small
old-fashioned bulk general store here locally.

Candied Orange Peel

1 cup orange peel, cut into strips
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup water

Place peel strips in large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil
over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes longer. Drain.
Repeat this process two more times.

In a medium saucepan, heat sugar and 1/4 cup water over high heat until
boiling. Place peel in sugar mixture, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes,
until sugar is dissolved. Remove peel with slotted spoon and dry on wire
rack overnight. Store in airtight container.