Re: diastatic malt

"Marcy Goldman" <goldman@betterbaking.com>
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 11:44:49 -0400
v102.n027.12
hi all,

As far as I know, in HOME baking, it makes no difference which malt you use.

In industry, it is more important, as a yeast food and even helps the flour
performance.  At home, malt is primarily used for flavor (you taste its
subtle notes in Montreal bagels), as a crust colour helper (it helps leans
breads get a golden brown or dark brown crust) and nourishes the yeast a tad.

Handling at home is small batch  - needs are different.
NON diastatic is fine at home.
I use it in pancake batter regularly.

For bread people  ..I am also reviewed Hearth Kitchens brick oven apparatus
- We have them at our site (linked) but I will be testing out their product
and will let you all know (it turns your home oven into an artisinal bread
oven - great for pizzas etc.)

best wishes
marcy goldman
editor, head baker