Re: Salaio bread

"Jazzbel" <jazzbel@speedwayinternet.com>
Sun, 12 May 2002 20:58:35 -0400
v102.n021.7
Here's what I found: for your portuguese bread query:

http://www.capecodaccess.com/cookbook/bread/portuguese_bread.html

Sometimes the portuguse substitute 1 cup rye flour or 1/2 cup barley flakes
for the same quantity of flour.

If I were making this bread, I would not use shortening, but olive oil,
"azeite portugues", of course.

Later,
Jazzbel

Mamie's Portuguese Bread*
Pao Portugues de Maria

Mary Alice Cook

8 cups unbleached flour
1 scant tablespoon salt
2 packets dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 cup warm water for dissolving yeast
1 level tablespoon vegetable shortening
Warm water to mix the dough as needed

Sift the salt and flour together. Put yeast, sugar and 3/4 cup warm water
in a small bowl and stir to dissolve the yeast. Set aside.

Add shortening to the flour and mix well. Add the yeast mixture to the
flour. Add warm water sparingly and slowly, kneading the dough thoroughly
until it becomes elastic. Cover the dough and let it rise in a greased bowl
for 1 1/2 hours. The dough should double in size.

Form three oval loaves, set them in greased pans and let them rise again.
Bake the loaves in a 400 F oven for 50 minutes or until golden brown.

Portuguese bread should be eaten when it is fresh as it has a tendency to
dry out.

Makes 3 loaves.

*Reprinted from "Traditional Portuguese Recipes from Provincetown," by Mary
Alice Cook. Published by Shank Painter Publishing, Provincetown.