U.S. Bread Bakers Guild team takes second place

"Gonzo White" <GonzoW@performerstech.com>
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 16:21:06 -0500
v102.n019.3
U.S. Bread Bakers Guild team takes home second place prize

Monday, April 29, 2002

Detroit Free Press
FREE PRESS STAFF REPORT

The Bread Bakers Guild Team USA 2002, which included captain Tim Foley of
the Bit of Swiss Pastry Shoppe in Stevensville, MI, took second place at
the Coupe du Monde de la Boulangerie (World Cup of Baking) in Paris; the
Japanese team took first and the Belgian third.

``We are thrilled with our second-place victory. The competition was
unbelievably tough. But we hung in there and were proud to return home with
a medal. We might not have won the championship, but we've proven to the
world once more that Americans make excellent bread,'' Foley said.

The competition featured teams from 12 countries. In 1999 the Guild team
captured first place at what's considered to be the Olympics of baking.

Other members of team USA are Tim Healea, bakery operations manager at
Pearl Bakery in Portland, Ore.; Ciril Hitz, a baking and pastry arts
instructor at the College of Culinary Arts at Johnson & Wales University in
Providence, R.I.; and Craig Ponsford, team coach, owner of Artisan Bakers
in Sonoma, Calif.

For more about Foley, check out Detroit Free Press food writer Sylvia
Rector's profile at http://freep.com/features/food/bread9_20020409.htm