Bucks Co. olive bread

"Elizabeth" <griffa@labyrinth.net>
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 07:50:01 -0400
v102.n018.6
Hi all, I'd like to post a recipe for my favorite olive bread.  I've made
it a few times and it seems to be foolproof.  It has always turned out,
from the first time I made it, but sometimes takes longer than you expect
to rise.  It tastes very nice with goat cheese and dry red wine.  My high
school girlfriend Sue Rush (who grew up with me in Bucks Co., PA) sent it
to me some years ago.

BUCKS COUNTY OLIVE BREAD
2 packets dry yeast
2 1/2 c warm water (110-115 F)
6 1/2 to 7 c bread flour (can be 2 c bread + 5 c all-purpose flour)
1 c Italian olives, pitted and coarsely chopped (combination of green
cracked Sicilian and kalamata)

Combine the following and let soak in 2 T olive oil:
1/2 c chopped fresh sage
1 t dry oregano
1 t crushed red pepper flakes
1 to 1 1/2 T salt
garlic powder or roasted fresh garlic cloves, to taste (I put in a good 5
or 6, hee hee)

cornmeal

*************************
Dissolve yeast in water. Let stand 5 min.  Stir.

Add 4 c flour.  Beat 10 min. with flat beater.

Add remaining 2 1/2 c flour and knead 5 min. with dough hook.

Add olives and seasoning mixture.  If necessary, add last 1/2 c flour and
knead until dough pulls away from sides of bowl.

Let dough rise on counter, covered with a large bowl, until double, about 2
hours (note: this sometimes takes longer).

Punch down, cover with floured towel, and let rise again until double,
about 1 1/2 hrs. (again, sometimes takes longer).

Divide in half; deflate; shape into 2 rounds; place on cornmeal covered
sheets and dust with flour.

Using a sharp knife, slash design of your choice 1/4" into tops of loaves;
dust lightly with flour and cover with floured towel.  Let rise until
double, about 45 min.

Bake in preheated 450 F oven with pan of hot water on bottom shelf for 35
min. or until thermometer registers 190-200 F in center of loaf (I don't
stick thermometers in loaves, myself, but...).  This loaf can be baked as a
simple free-standing round, in long French baking pans, and on a
stone.  For an extra-special crust, spray loaves with water 3 times during
the first 7 minutes of baking (I usually forget to do this). This bread
freezes well and stores VERY well.  It's one of those that tastes better a
day or two after you bake it; the flavors seem to meld while it sits.  If
there are any stale remains, they also make good croutons after you cut
them in bits and bake them in the oven to crisp them.