Black Pepper Bread

"Helen & Peter Frati" <frati183@blazenetme.net>
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 08:32:29 -0400
v102.n016.7
My husband and I visited Georgetown, SC and bought some black pepper bread
at a bakery called Kudzu Bakery.   I have tried to get the recipe without
any luck.  We live in Maine and thought maybe this was a Southern
specialty? If anyone has a recipe for black pepper bread, would love to
have it.  It was very rich almost like an egg bread.

Bob, the Tarheel baker sent me Rose Levy Beranbaum's recipe for Jewish Rye
Bread, which I made without any machine, i.e. Kitchen Aid, Food Processor.
It came out the best I have ever made.  Do you think it was because it was
kneaded by hand?  Any input on man versus machine???

Started it Sunday night, put the 'sponge' outside (I live in Maine) on my
porch, the temperature was around 40F; brought it in the next morning,
bubbly, fragrant, finished mixing in the rest of the flour etc, put it back
outside till late afternoon, shaped it backed it off.  Great bread. Even my
husband noticed :).

Thanks Bob and Rose Levy Beranbaum...black pepper bread, black pepper bread.....