bread machines or dough mixers

"Elizabeth" <griffa@labyrinth.net>
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 14:35:03 -0500
v102.n015.13
Hello, my name is Elizabeth, I'm from West Virginia and am a bread-baking
enthusiast.  I have a touch of carpal tunnel syndrome, though, and for this
reason I find it easier to get a machine to knead my bread.

I had a DAK which I didn't like for baking (spongy, soggy) but was OK for
just mixing.  It died after its warranty.  My Breadman's paddle just
sheared a hole in the bottom of the bread pan a few days ago. I've read all
sorts of reviews of different bread machines and am still undecided.

My question: should I get another bread machine, and if so, which one do
you recommend just for mixing, or for handling heavy ww doughs?  Would I be
better off getting just a dough-mixing attachment for my faithful
15-year-old Cuisinart, or would this shorten its life with the extra stress?

The other option is to get some sort of simple mixer without any baking
feature, if it was cheaper than a bread machine by itself.  Is there any
such device that anyone would recommend?

Also, I like to grind my own grain from scratch, and my Vita-Mix died and
the replacement parts won't work properly on it.  Any idea for good but
inexpensive grain grinding solutions?

Yours, Elizabeth