Re: lecithin liquid (bread-bakers.v102.n012)

"Michael Cendo" <mcendo@earthlink.net>
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 09:03:44 -0500
v102.n013.9
Melissa writes:>
 > I purchased lecithin liquid because I saw it in a healthy bread cookbook,
 > and hoped it was like malt extact. It is not and tasted really gross.
 >
 > Help! Does any one know why or how to use it in bread, I probably should
 > have bought the cookbook and now I can't remember which book it was.

Response:
I use liquid lecithin in almost all my bread recipes.  It serves as a dough
softener, and is especially useful when working with whole grain
flours.  It is very sticky, so I first measure out whatever oil my recipe
calls for in a tablespoon.  In that same tablespoon, I then pour out
roughly 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of the lecithin.  Since it is already oiled,
the lecithin slides right off the measuring spoon.  Much easier this way.

Marie Cendo