Re: lecithin (bread-bakers.v102.n012)

"Renzo64" <renzo64@cox.net>
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 08:21:11 -0500
v102.n013.2
Melissa wrote:
 > I purchased lecithin liquid because I saw it in a healthy bread cookbook,
 > and hoped it was like malt extact. It is not and tasted really gross.
 >
 > Help! Does any one know why or how to use it in bread, I probably should
 > have bought the cookbook and now I can't remember which book it was.

Lecithin is derived from soybeans. The short answer as to why it's used in
bread is because it extends the shelf life of homemade breads, improves
rising, and produces a softer loaf. I've seen recipes (usually whole wheat)
calling for as little as 1 teaspoon and as much as 1 tablespoon per 1 pound
loaf. If you want more detail, check it out at
http://waltonfeed.com/lecithin.html

renzo
in ri