Re: Friendship Bread "Joel Goodman"

"Woofus" <woofus@adelphia.net>
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 11:58:12 -0500
v102.n012.4
Hello Joel, A quick search on the web yielded the following recipe so I'll
send it along in its entirety and give credit for the bread to Mrs. Norma
Condon of Los Angeles and I supplied my starter recipe.  It's a difficult
life for an internet geek, baker, + cook such as myself. So many recipes
out there, so little time. <sigh>

Let me share my "difficult life" with you. Misery loves company (chuckle).
If you are looking for something unusual and have www access try the most
powerful search site I know of. www.google.com

I typed in what you were looking for, in this case  friendship bread
instant pudding   and turned up many responses. Now that you've reminded me
of how good these cakes are, I'm going to try an Amish Cinnamon Bread
w/instant pudding item that turned up there. If you don't have access to
the web join me as I stay with the bread-bakers list. The people subscribed
here have offered great advice and recipes time after time. I always wanted
an opportunity to return the favor to someone and say, "Thank You" for
everyone else's postings.

Amish Friendship Bread w/instant pudding

Important Note: Don't use metal spoons or equipment. Do not refrigerate.
Use only glazed ceramic or plastic bowls or containers.

Required Main Ingredient

1 cup live yeast starter

Yeast Starter
Friendship Starter:

1/2 tsp Active dry yeast
2 tbsp Warm water
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 cup milk

Day one:

Combine yeast, warm water, and a pinch of sugar in a cup; allow to stand a
few minutes until it begins to foam. In a large glass or plastic bowl
combine sugar, flour, and milk with a wooden or plastic spoon. Stir in the
yeast mixture. Do not use a metal bowl, spoon or beater. Also, Do not
refrigerate the starter. Cover loosely and keep at room temperature.

day 1:
Do nothing extra to the starter.

days 2-5:
Stir with a wooden spoon.

day 6:
Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup milk. Stir with a wooden spoon.

days 7-9:
Stir with a wooden spoon.

Day 10:
Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Stir. Take out 3 cups and
place 1 cup each into three separate plastic containers. Give one cup and a
copy of this recipe to three friends. To the balance (a little over one
cup) of the batter, add the following ingredients and mix well.

1 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

In a separate bowl combine the following dry ingredients and mix well:

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 box (5.1 oz) instant vanilla pudding
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup nuts (if desired)

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix and pour into two well greased
and sugared bread pans. Bake at 325 F for 1 hour.

Enjoy!

Tom
http://home.adelphia.net/~thomabie/

[[ Editor's note: This recipe was also sent in by Mary
<Croft.Family@connriver.net>.  Her variation used a "ziplock" bag for the
starter.  Mixing is done by squeezing the bag.  -- Jeff ]]