Wonderful rye bread

Judith Barnett <pooh4jvn@pacbell.net>
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 08:40:05 -0800
v102.n011.13
Hi everyone,
I have strayed from this list for a while but I have been reading. I have
joined another list also that is just for ABM recipes. I got this recipe
from them and made it the other day and it is just wonderful! I know it
sounds a little strange with the pickle juice in it but you won't be sorry!
My problem now is keeping pickle juice in the house. We don't eat many
pickles. Anyone know if you can buy just pickle juice? <g>

Dill Pickle Rye Bread
1-1/2 Pound

3/4 cup water
1 cup pickle juice
1 whole egg
2 tablespoons shortening
3 cups bread flour
1 1/2 cups rye flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon dill weed
1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seed
3 teaspoons instant yeast

Directions:

Place all of the ingredients in your machines fully assembled pan (with the
exception of those ingredients listed under "add at beep"). Select the
basic or white cycle and press start.

HearthKit Directions:

Place all of the ingredients in your machines fully assembled pan (with the
exception of those ingredients listed under "add at beep"). Select the
dough or manual cycle and press start.

When the dough is finished remove it to a lightly floured surface and knead
to deflate the air. Flatted the dough out in to a rectangle making sure one
side is no wider than your bread pan. Roll the dough up jelly roll style;
pinch to seal seams and ends. Place roll of dough in a lightly greased
bread pan seam side down. Cover with a damp towel and place in a warm draft
free place to rise. Allow to rise for 1 hour.

While the bread dough is rising preheat the HearthKit to 350 F. It is
important that you do it right setting the dough aside for its final rise.
It takes time to heat the HearthKit stone to the proper temperature.

Once the dough has finished its 1 hour rise, place the pan of dough in the
oven in the center of the HearthKit and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool 10 minutes and then remove the bread
from the pan and place on a cooling rack to cool. Allow to cool completely
before slicing.

Notes:

This recipe makes great sandwiches. Like vegetables and cheese. Meat and
Cheese and especially tuna salad, egg salad or chicken salad.

I use the brine from natural brine pickles. You can usually find these in
the cold area of the supermarket with the cheese and butter. One brand to
look for is "Bubbies". If you have a Trader Joe's near by they also have
a natural brine pickle in the cooler area. Just make sure they are dill
pickles and not sour's.

Variations:

1. If you don't like running across the whole Caraway seed, grind them up
in blender or herb only coffee grinder. This gives you the flavor without
the seeds.

2. Add some finally chopped onion or 1 tsp. onion powder to the dough for a
onion type rye bread.

3. In addition to the dry dill weed add 2 to 4 tbsp. of fresh minced dill
weed. Most supermarkets have fresh dill in the produce area. You want the
fern part and not the heads

Judith Barnett
pooh4jvn@pacbell.net
http://www.pbase.com/pooh4jvn/galleries