Pizza Dough

"Walter Johnstone" <wjohnstone@mindspring.com>
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 10:33:03 -0500
v102.n011.11
To All:

I have to put my two cents in about pizza before you all are off and
running on another subject, all interesting of course.  I happened to catch
a snippet of a demo from Nick Malgieri on TV a couple of years ago.  He put
together a pizza dough in a couple of minutes, ending up with a very soft
dough (didn't get the list of ingredients).  But what he did with the dough
has since then remained with me and works beautifully; he patted the dough
(being quite wet) with flour and rolled it right out on parchment and then
baked it!

Ever since being in Rome a few years ago,  my goal has been to duplicate
the wonderful thin-crusted pizzas that I enjoyed there in the Piazza de
Navona.  Through much experimentation, I have come up with the following
method:

For the dough:

1 1/2 tsp. dry yeast
1/2 cup plus 2 T warm water  (105 - 115 F)
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt (more or less)

Dissolve yeast in water in medium bowl.  Add flour and salt
gradually.  Work very little, just until mixed well (couple of minutes).

Pour a little bit of oil in bowl; flip dough around with a dough scraper or
rubber spatula to coat it all around.  Cover and either refrigerate for a
few hours or overnight preferably (makes for a much more cooperative dough,
easier to roll out; but you can at this point just let it rise and then
roll out).

Either on the counter or on a cookie sheet (I have a tiled counter so I
need the sheet), using a small roller preferably, roll out the dough until
pretty thin onto parchment paper, with a little lip at the edges.  In the
meantime, heat up the oven to 450 F, along with a pizza stone or tile onto
the the bottom shelf (I am presently using a 16-inch porcelain tile
(lightly glazed) purchased from Lowe's for $4).

Top with whatever you would like, but with a light touch!  Roman pizzas do
not have much on top of them (makes for a soggy crust with too much
topping).  Either slide the pizza (still on the parchment) onto a cookie
sheet with one end open or on a peel; then slip the pizza onto the tile or
stone.  Bake for about 13-15 minutes and then voila!  I use scissors to cut
the pizza, finding this easier.  This makes enough pizza for two.  I
usually double the recipe.

Notes:  The tile is wonderful, but you must make sure it is porcelain
(fired at a much higher temperature).  I have not yet tried to clean it
during the self-cleaning process of the oven; that is the next
experiment.  Also, dust the dough after being placed on the parchment
before rolling and also during rolling, if necessary.  You do not have to
worry about the underside of the dough sticking to the parchment; that is
the beauty of it; it sticks while you are rolling (which is what you want -
no shrinking); after baking, it rises right off the parchment!  I use a
little pastry roller I believe it is called, with two little rollers, one
on each end.  It is easier than a larger roller for me.

I thank you all for all the baking tips.  I look forward every week to get
into this digest; it is fun.  Also, if anyone is interested in my choice of
toppings I would be glad to share them.  Roasted tomatoes are the way to
go!

Baking Carol