Re: Bosch mixers

jakuehn@yourinter.net (Jacquelyn Kuehn)
Sat, 09 Feb 2002 10:34:56 -0500
v102.n007.2
Good morning, bread bakers.  This is my first response to the list, though
I've enjoyed listening in on all the conversation and recipes for several
months.  In response to the questions about Bosch mixers, here are my
answers as a happy--very happy--Bosch owner:

 > 1. Bosch makes four units.  The Universal, the Concept7, the Comfort and
 > the Compact.  The Universal and the Concept7 look most appropriate to
 > me.  Which one would you recommend?

I've had the Bosch Universal for four years, and been completely delighted
with it.  I have the blender that comes with it--I have just recently
replaced that for $50 because the blade assembly corrodes eventually in the
dishwasher, and I insisted on putting it there.  I also have the food
processor attachment--great.

 > 3. Is there any justification for paying $100 extra for the stainless
bowl option?

I don't have it; I have even whipped meringues in the plastic bowl, and
have had no trouble with lingering oils, etc.

 > 4. Are the attachments good pieces of equipment?

Yes.

 > 5. Does the Bosch handle small recipes as I'm led to believe it will?

Yes, very well.  Whip a little cream, make a small amount of batter...great.

 > 6. Can cakes and cookies be successfully made with the Bosch?

Yes; my 14-year-old daughter uses it frequently on her own to make cookies
and cakes.

 > 7. Does the Bosch knead dough as efficiently and thoroughly as the
advertising claims.

Absolutely.

 > 8. I've heard that the Bosch has a tendency to walk around the
counter.  Is this fact or fiction and
 > is it a problem for you?

Only with the heaviest doughs and a very full bowl; I have never had it be
a problem.  I don't usually leave the kitchen while it's kneading--there's
always 5-8 minutes' worth of something to do in the kitchen while it
works--but that is not out of fear of it walking away.

I hope this is helpful, Don!

Jackie Kuehn
western PA