Re: Proofing Boxes

ehgf@mindspring.com
Tue, 05 Feb 2002 00:54:42 +0800
v102.n006.12
Hi All,

As they say, "there is more than one way to skin a cat", but don't tell
Shelby, Crystal and Cobi, our felines, that I said that!!!.

When I first started baking bread, I discovered easy ways to create a warm
environment for rising dough. The simplest was to just place the covered
bowl on the TV cable box. The slight warmth emanating from the box was just
right. Of course, I usually had to chase a cat off the box , first, as they
coveted that warm surface, too. Placing the bowl over a pilot light would
probably work in the same manner.

When we got rid of cable, I tried other ways to create the right
temperature. I found that putting a mug of water in the microwave and
allowing it to heat to a boil, created a warm and moist environment. Once
the water boils, I would place the covered bowl of dough in the now turned
off microwave oven. Easy and effective for short rises as eventually the
warmth subsides.

I do not recommend that anyone let their dough rise in the same oven that
they are going to bake in. Been there and done that. I once set the oven on
low and placed dough within to rise. Unfortunately, I forgot that I had
done that and after preheating the oven to bake, I discovered a partially
baked blob of dough in a somewhat melted plastic container (and now you
know...I am a "little" absent minded).

I have also tried "creating" a proofing box. The simplest one is made by
placing a heating pad on a low setting upon a table. Place a cooling rack
over the pad and your bowl of dough on the rack. Cover all with an
overturned box. Enclosing all in an air filled clean plastic garbage bag
would probably work, as well. I have also built a box using a styrofoam
cooler and light bulb. The set up called for a "reastat" (?). This
attachment is crucial as it allows you to dim the bulb to create just the
right amount of heat contained within. With the ability to adjust the heat
and have a steady source of warmth, it worked very well, especially with
some of Ed Wood's sourdough recipes that call for very long, proofing times.

Currently, I use a "warming drawer" which was part of a kitchen remodel. I
highly recommend having one, if possible. They are useful for keeping food
warm especially when entertaining. You have a range of temperature settings
from low for proofing to high for keeping food hot so it does double duty.
There is a vent which can stay closed to keep in moisture which is good for
proofing or keeping fresh baked muffins moist and warm until everyone is
awake on Sunday morning.  Opening the vent is supposed to release the steam
so foods like french fries can stay both crisp and warm.

Hope this helps

Ellen aka Gormay