re: Proof box

"Holly M. Coolidge" <h.coolidge@att.net>
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 11:48:54 -0500
v102.n005.10
Renee wrote:

"I am looking for a small (not a cabinet) proofing box to use for one or
two loaves to use at home. Any suggestions where I might purhase one?"

Hi, Renee...  I don't know if you've thought of this or not, but there are
a few alternatives to buying a proofbox.  One is to simply use your
oven.  If it's a gas oven, the pilot light would keep it at about the right
temp or you could up it alittle by putting a small votive candle on the
floor.  Mist the inside of the oven with water, put the candle on the
floor, put the dough container on the rack and shut the door.  Instant
proofbox.  Also, I've heard that folks with dishwashers simply have to run
it past the rinse cyle, and then put the dough container inside and shut
the door (don't turn the dishwasher back on!)  Personally, I'd let some of
the steam and heat escape first, but I imagine it works like a
charm.  Also, some folks use their microwave oven in a similar fashion...
heat some water in there first, then replace the water container with the
dough container and shut the door.

Or maybe you're ready for a proofbox...

Holly