Introduction and a few replys

Roxanne Rieske <rokzane@dimensional.com>
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 13:31:29 -0700
v102.n004.1
Hello! I'm new to this list, and want'd to say hi to everyone. My name's
Roxanne and I'm a professional baker. I work for a Scandinavian bakery
in the Denver area. My specialities are pies and breads. Has anyone ever
baked a pie in a hearth oven? I am yearning to do that, but as yet have no
access to an hearth oven. I can just imagine what it would do for a fruit pie.

At any rate, I would like to reply to a few things :)

Carolyn wrote:

">Yes, you COULD proof a rustic loaf in a cheap China-made basket lined with
  > unwashable fabric of unknown origin, or line an ordinary bowl with a
  > linen dish towel, but it won't be the same.

Technically it is the same. The results are usually the same. Most bakeries
(artisian or not) can't afford to spend the money required to buy 30+ of
these basket for their operations (take my word for it, owning and
operating a bakery  does not make you alot of money). Their only options
are the alternatives. I bet you almost all the bakeries in your area
producing these breads are using mostly cheap cost-plus baskets. I mean,
really, 25 dollars or a buck a piece? To a bakery operator the cost
difference means a lot. You do the math.

To a home baker, the cost may not mean much. And if it doesn't, then by all
means buy as many baskets as you want. But when you can't afford the cash,
you use what you can. Me? well I'd rather spend the buck on the basket and
spend the real money on the flour. Which is what really makes the difference.

Shirley Lipscomb wrote:

"I am in search of a recipe for dutch crunch bread"

I'm really fond of Peter Rheinhart's Dutch Crunch recipe. It's in the
"Bread Baker's Apprentice." Unfortunately, my copy is at the bakery, so I
can't post it. Perhaps someone will post it soonfor you?

Irene wrote:

"My starter did well the first 36 hours, then fell, not to be revived the
next day. What did I do wrong? Can I still save it?"

Sounds like a case of too much yeast and not enough food. If you can't revive
it, it's probably dead by now. If you are doing a wild yeast starter, once
the yeast are captured and they start feeding, it's a really good idea to
feed the starter every 8 hrs during the first 48 hour period. This ensures an
active colony. Leave it at room temperature while it's colonizing. Once it's
active refrigerate it  and feed it every 3 to 5 days. After feeding it, leave
at room temperature till it starts to get bubbly, then put it back in the
fridge.

If you have  questions on the proper way to feed it, feel free to e-mail me

If you are making a starter from commercial yeast, it's a good idea to use
SAF Gold yeast. This is a special strand of yeast cultivated for acidic
environments. Starters are acidic and the typical strand of yeast (S.
cervasai-I know I spelled that wrong) will die in highly acidic environments.

When using a commercial yeast, I ferment the starter at room temp until
bubbly, feed it and then pop it in the fridge overnight. I'll feed it the
next day and then feed it every 3 days from there.

I hope all this information helps :)

Roxanne, The Nutty Baker
--
"they say you're only half alive till you give extra whitening a try" --jewel

"an angels face is tricky to wear constantly" --purple people

"you don't have to like me for who I am, but we'll see what you're made of
by what you make of me"  --ani