Hay Hand Rolls

RCox45@aol.com
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 05:54:21 EST
v102.n002.21
After many requests... here's the recipe. Remember, I warned you. It's long.
I use my Kitchen Aid mixer for the sponge, and then again when I finish the
mixint to the point that there's too much dough and it crawls up the paddle.
Then, I put it in a huge Tupperware bowl to mix in the rest of the flour.  I
keep it in that same Tupperware bowl (greased of course) to store it in the
fridge.  Many ask how many days it will keep.  I have no idea.  When I make
this, the family wants rolls every night, and it's gone in no time!

Hay Hand Rolls

1 pkg Dry Yeast
1 cup lukewarm water (<90degrees)
1 Tablespoon salt
1 Tablespoon sugar
3 cups water
4 cups flour
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup shortening, melted (I use real butter)
1 cup sugar
6 cups (approximately) flour

Combine yeast and the 1 cup lukewarm water.  When this is dissolved, stir
in salt, 1T. sugar, 3C. water, and 4C. flour.  Beat well until
bubbly.  Cover and set aside at room temperature for several hours or
overnight.

After sponge has set, add the beaten eggs, oil, 1C. sugar, and enough flour
to make a soft dough.  Turn out onto a floured board and knead.  Place in a
greased bowl and let rise until double in bulk.  Knead down and place in
refrigerator.  Punch down daily.  When you are ready to use, remove the
portion of the dough desired from the refrigerator and let it stand for 1
hour at room temperature.  Make out into rolls and put on a greased cookie
sheet.  Let rise until double in bulk.  Bake in a 400 F oven for 15 - 20
minutes.

These also make fine twice baked rolls.  After you have made out the rolls,
let rise until 3/4 as high as you desire (do not let them double in bulk as
they continue to rise after they go into the slow oven).  Bake at 275 F for
40 minutes.  This sets the dough, but does not completely bake it.  Store
in the refrigerator for a short time, or, wrap well and freeze for longer
storage. Thaw, if frozen, and bake at 425 F for 8 minutes.

 From Kitchen-Klatter Magazine
Shenandoah, IA  5160l

I hope you all enjoy these rolls!  Cheryl