Subject: re: Proofing baskets

"Greg Carpenter" <bredhead@breadworks.com>
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 11:44:59 -0500
v102.n001.13
Bannetons are absurdly overpriced if you choose to by them from a
commercial source. They can be made easily by purchasing an appropriate
sized basket (from Pier 1, Wal-Mart, anywhere) and sewing in some heavy
cotton duck using upholstery thread.  My mother made 60 of these for me
(bless her heart!  the woman is a saint) when I started my bakery and they
have been in daily use for 5 years.  The key is to brush them out and dry
them thoroughly after every use or they WILL mildew.  Periodic washing in
warm water and rinsing in a mild vinegar solution will guarantee long life.

Greg in Petoskey