Sourdough Saga and Salvation

ehgf@mindspring.com
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 00:58:43 +0800
v101.n052.9
Hi All,

I've tried all sorts of sourdough recipes over the years. Most are more
trouble than they are worth. I have Ed Wood's book and have tried his
recipes with mixed results. The absolute best, most delicious breads
came from Nancy Silverton's La Brea Bakery Breads. That starter took 14
days to develop making it necessary for me to bring it to work to "feed"
(my co-workers thought I was nuts!). Carl Griffith's Oregon starter was
very good also until it weakened with time. I've tried "Goldrush"
Alaskan starter several times, but it is too unstable. I started to feel
burdened by all those starter filled jars taking up space in my fridge.
I also resented having to "refresh" these starters over several days
when I hadn't used them for a while. I was feeling like a slave to my
sourdough :-(

Well, my friends I am FREE! I purchased "Lalvain du Jour" Starters from
King Arthur. There are two: Pain de Campagne and French Sourdough. They
are tiny packets of yeast, bacteria and lactose. They take up no room in
your fridge. I keep mine in the freezer and they are still working well
despite going past the 6 month expiration date once opened. Each packet
costs $6.95 with FREE shipping (a bargain when you consider all the
flour wasted in feeding/discarding and all the time expended to maintain
a starter). Each makes 12 loaves of bread. The French Sourdough contains
the San Francisco lactobacillus and is a sour sourdough lover's dream
especially if you use rye or whole wheat flour as suggested in the
provided recipe. The Pain de Campagne is not sour, but delicious none
the less. I have no affiliation with King Arthur, I just like this
product. No more sourdough slavery although I still like to stretch my
bread making over two or three days when I have the time to get the
maximum flavor from my loaves.

I submitted my thoughts on sourdough a few years ago and thought that it
was time to share again.

All I Need To Know About Life I Learned From Baking (Sourdough) Bread

1. Keep it (life) simple, but of the highest quality
         (using good, basic ingredients)

2. Feed and nurture yourself regularly
         (maintaining the starter)

3. Allow yourself the time and space to develop fully
         (mixing, kneading, raising and shaping the dough )

4. When the "heat is on", rise to the occasion
         (baking the bread)

5. Give sustenance and pleasure to others
         (sharing your bread)

Remember: When life gives you a bread that won't rise, call it focaccia!

Ellen aka Gormay