my favorite scale

"Erin Nesmith" <enesmith@earthlink.net>
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 07:28:54 -0600
v101.n052.1
I recently bought a scale and have really enjoyed using it in my baking.  I
got "The Baker's Dream Scale" from Salter.  It's got a nice long shutoff
time, large weigh platform, and the display is easy to read even when I have
my big bread bowl on the platform.  No annoying little nooks and crannies to
trap debris.  It's simple to rest to zero while I am adding ingredients, and
it can easily switch back and forth between weighing in ounces, fluid
ounces, and grams.  It came with a spiral-bound guide of weights for various
quantities of commonly used ingredients.  My only complaint is that it
doesn't weigh down to very small amounts very well, as the quantities only
go down to 1/4 an ounce, so I am still measuring things like yeast and salt.
I suppose I could switch it to grams for those, but this small hassle has
been worth the ease in measuring gooey things like honey, peanut butter, and
molasses.

I got the scale from Sur La Table and it ran about $60.  I've been using it
for about a year now and cannot imagine baking without it.

Erin Nesmith