Thanks and a recipe

Kathleen <kmschuller@home.com>
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 12:05:19 -0400
v101.n050.11
Thank you for the many comments and suggestions I received via the list and
directly to me, when I asked the question about which sour dough starter to
purchase.  There was a strong vote of confidence for the Ed Wood
starters.  Another list member offered to send me some of her starter which
she has dried, and I will play with that first.

I made the following bread a few days ago and it was very good and
disappeared very fast.  Yum. Since there are only two of us, it works best
to use recipes that make just one loaf, which this does.
kathleen

                       *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                        Banana-Pecan Whole Wheat Loaf

Recipe By     : www.breadworld.com     8/11/97
Categories    : Breads                           Fruits

                          ***DOUGH***
     1 3/4  cups          all-purpose flour -- 1 3/4 to 2 1/4
       1/4  cup           sugar
     1      package       fleischmann's rapidrise yeast
       1/2  teaspoon      salt
       1/3  cup           water
     2      tablespoons   butter or margarine -- cut up
     1      cup           whole wheat flour
       1/2  cup           mashed ripe banana
     1                    egg
       1/2  cup           toasted chopped pecans or raisins
                          ***TOPPING***
     1      tablespoon    sugar
       1/2  teaspoon      ground cardamom
                          or 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

Makes 1 loaf. To make dough: In large bowl, combine 3/4 cup all-purpose
flour, sugar, undissolved yeast and salt. Heat water and butter until very
warm (120 to 130F); stir into dry ingredients. Stir in whole wheat flour,
banana, egg, pecans and enough remaining all-purpose flour to make soft
dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 6
to 8 minutes. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.

Divide dough into 3 equal pieces; form each into smooth ball. Place balls
in greased 8 x 4-inch loaf pan. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place
until doubled in size, about 45 to 60 minutes.

In small bowl, combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over top of dough.
Bake at 375F for 30 to 35 minutes or until done. Remove from pan; cool on
wire rack.

Nutrition information per serving (1/12 of recipe): calories 199; total fat
6 g; saturated fat 2 g; cholesterol 23 mg; sodium 124 mg; total
carbohydrate 32 g; dietary fiber 2 g; protein 5 g