Fresh stone-ground flour

"Larry Geller" <lgeller@igc.org>
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 07:17:44 -1000
v101.n050.4
I've been happy with my Lee Flour Mill and have used it regularly for about
20 years. It may be unique in that it has a single stone for
grinding.  "What is the sound of one stone grinding?" you may ask.

This mill works by dashing the grains against the stone with a high-speed
rotating paddle. The grains grind themselves up against the stone. It's
cool grinding because the air inside is hurricane-like and nothing can get
hot. An adjustable slit lets only flour or meal of the correct fineness
escape into the collecting bag.

It is very loud. Not something to be run in the early morning before the
family is up. So I grind during the day and freeze unused flour to prevent
it from becoming rancid.

After using a stone mill to make fresh whole-grain flour, it is impossible
to go back to the stale stuff typically found in health food stores in bags.

-Larry Geller