crusts and fermentation

LDavis47@aol.com
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 20:41:42 EDT
v101.n043.2
I have been experimenting recently and came across 2 interesting techniques.
1. My bread machine does not bake at a temp higher than 355 F (Breadman). But
many of the breads I make have no sugar in them so that they barely get
brown, more like tan. I tried refreshing the bread by liberally spraying
water all over it (actually I put it under the faucet for a second on all
sides, just long enough to wet it all over) then put it into a 400 F
preheated oven for 15 to 20 min watching for burning and turning it when
necessary. You have to put the bread on a piece of foil until the water
evaporates or it will stick to the grates. The result is a crackly, thick
crunchy great crust.

2. I mentioned that I don't put sugar in the breads. Instead I have been
fermenting 1 cup of whole wheat flour, 1 cup of non chlorinated water, 1 tsp
yeast, and one mashed of either cooked leftover potato, sweat potato, or just
on overripe banana. I cover tightly and let ferment for 6-8 hrs or overnight
or until I have time to put the bread together. Add 1.5 tsp. salt, 1 tsp.
yeast, 12 oz (3 c)bread flour, 1 TBS olive oil, sometimes 2 TBS dry milk and
turn on the machine. You have to watch for wetness since the banana, potato
etc. can vary in size and wetness. These are delicious breads, with great
crusts, esp. if you try experiment #1, have no sugar. The technique is like
making a poolish but fermenting a carbohydrate source with it.

Lloyd D.