Sam's Club flour

"dpkenny@earthlink.net" <dpkenny@earthlink.net>
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 11:21:09 -0400
v101.n039.7
The Sam's Club flour looks like a pretty good deal, doesn't it?

It's the assertion of my BreadBible (ie, "Bread Alone" by Daniel Leader,
[c] 1993) that it depends on what you are trying to bake with it, and what
your preferences are.

On the side of that bag of flour you will notice that the SAM's bread flour
contains 3g of protein per serving.  This will yield a bread with bigger
holes... closer to white sandwich bread, though of a higher quality than
"Wonder Bread", to be sure.

I prefer more dense bread, personally, so I always go with a 4g protein
per-serving flour, like King Arthur.  But there are dozens of other flours
you can find in quantity throughout the country that are comparable in value.

David