Pizza on the grill

NSimZim@aol.com
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 13:37:30 EDT
v101.n037.6
Recently, Sue asked about pizza on the grill. There are many different
schools of thought about how to grill a pizza, but we make grilled pizza at
least once a week and have tried all sorts of temperatures, grills and
distances from the fire. First, we like the Weber charcoal kettle grill as
opposed to a smoker or a gas grill; the flavor is much stronger and the
temperature gets hot enough from beginning to end. Second, we place the
dough on aluminum foil (sprayed with olive oil). This works better than a
metal sheet on the grill and is easier to get a peel under it (I would like
to try a pizza stone as well). Third, we make the pizza up all at once
(don't cook the crust seperately) and put it on the fire HOT. This means
that as soon as the coals are dropped from the chimney into the kettle, the
first pizza goes on (I can get two large pizzas out of the coals, I've
never tried pushing it to three). Lastly, watch the bottom of the crust,
don't trust the top to brown the same!