Re: Summer Loaf

ehgf@mindspring.com
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 01:27:20 +0800
v101.n035.15
Hi All,

     Having attended and enjoyed Summer Loaf for the last two years, I was
getting pretty antsy at not knowing any details other than the date and
times (Aug 4 between 8 AM and 2 PM) of this year's event. Inquiries to the
Portland Farmer's Market, which sponsors Summer Loaf, only resulted in a
message left on an answering machine which has yet to be answered.

     I tried calling Gina Piccolino, the Activities/Membership Director of
the Bread Baker's Guild of America and she was more than helpful. It seems
that there are to be some changes this year with a "general scaling back"
of bread type activities, but with the possible addition of some other
artisan boothes/vendors. Here's the scoop as I understand it:

     -There will be NO classes (I am soooo disappointed as previous classes
were taught by the likes of Peter Reinhart, Carol Field and Maggie Glezer.
They are all gifted teachers and wonderful to meet in person).

     -There may or may not be a "Speakers Corner" which was always well
attended. Speakers such as Amy Scherber and Craig Ponsford enthralled us
with their perspectives on creating artisan breads, operating businesses
and competing in International baking competitions.

     -There will still be wood fired oven demonstrations and an "Ask the
Baker" corner. For those of you dreaming of building your own oven this is
your chance to not only see one in action, but ask all kinds of questions
about it. It's also an opportunity to ask professional bakers for help
and/or tips.

     -Other artisan areas that have been invited this year include
chocolate, cheese, butter, pasta, wine, meats and seafood. In the past, I
saw mostly
bread related items such as breads, jams, honey, butter, Brittany sea salt,
premium olive oils etc. Since Bob's Red Mill is located in a Portland suburb,
they usually have a large booth with their wonderful products. Of course,
since the fair takes place at a Farmer's Market, there are always the most
luscious looking fruits and vegetables, and amazingly beautiful flowers to buy.

     -The Bread Baker's Guild of America will still have a booth and are
offering a "Gulidhall Gathering" so that members can meet and socialize. I
strongly urge those of you who love the art and science of baking bread to
join and support this organization. The BBGA is dedicated to educating,
networking and perpetuating this time honored craft. I am not a
profesional, but show my support by being a member in the "serious home
baker" category although I actually prefer to call myself an "ambitious
amateur" :-)

     To this desert dweller, the lovely cool summer weather (Portland, OR,
not MA) and the lushness of the city are attractions in themselves for a
summer get-away, I'm hoping some of you out there will attend along with me.
Ellen aka Gormay