Buttermilk Corn Bread

"Chris Dalrymple" <chrisdd@bellsouth.net>
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 14:14:12 -0500
v101.n034.14
Judging from the scrawny digests we've been getting lately, everybody must
be on vacation or outdoors enjoying the hot weather. I'm stuck inside this
weekend due to high levels of ozone, so thought I'd post one of my favorite
"hurry up" bread recipes. It's perfect with all the wonderful fresh veggies
we get this time of year, and only keeps you in the kitchen for a few
minutes. This has been voted the best cornbread EVER by my Southern friends
and family.

Buttermilk Corn Bread
from Bread by Beth Hensperger

Yields 1 9" round bread; 6-8 servings

1 cup unbleached AP flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

1.  Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
2.  In another bowl, mix eggs, buttermilk, and butter. Add to dry
ingredients and stir until all ingredients are just blended. Take care not
to overmix.
3.  Pour batter into a greased 9-inch springform pan or pie plate. Bake in a
preheated 400 F oven about 25 minutes until golden around the edges and
a cake tester comes out clean. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting in wedges
to serve.