Artisan Baking Across America by Maggie Glezer...

TheGuamTarheels@webtv.net (The Ol' Tarheel)
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 15:03:26 -0400 (EDT)
v101.n021.16
I just made a great bread from this book and wanted to share it with those
of you who do not have the book (and if you don't, get it), and recommend
it to those of you who do.

Note:  It is on page 64 of the book.  Those of you who have the book will
notice that I made a few minor changes in places where I disagree with Maggie.

Hi-Rise's Corn Bread

Poolish:
1-1/4 cups unbleached bread flour
1-1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
3/4 cup lukewarm water

Combine the flour and yeast in a large bowl and then add water and mix
thoroughly.  Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let ferment for about 2 hours.

Dough:
2/3 cup lukewarm water
All of the poolish
2-1/2 cups unbleached bread flour
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons stone-ground white (yellow is okay) cornmeal
3/4 cup fresh corn kernels (frozen is okay)
3 large eggs (save 1 for the glaze)
2 tablespoons honey
1-1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I use olive oil)
1 tablespoon salt (I use sea salt)

Add the water to the poolish and mix thoroughly until the poolish has
loosened up.  Combine the flour, cornmeal, corn, and salt in a large
bowl.  Add the poolish mixture, 2 of the eggs, the honey, and the oil. Stir
the mixture with a wooden spoon until it forms a soft dough.  Turn the
dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead, adding as little flour
as possible.  Use a dough knife to help you turn the dough and to mash the
corn kernels as you knead.  Knead until the dough is tight and smooth (you
know how it should feel).

Place the dough in a lightly oiled clean bowl, turning to coat the dough,
cover with plastic wrap and allow to ferment until it is light, well
expanded, and doubled in bulk, about 1-1/2 hours.

Butter (I use Pam butter spray) two 9x5 inch loaf pans.  Cut the fermented
dough in half and shape it into two balls.  Shape each ball into a loaf and
place seam side down in the pan.  Cover and let them proof until risen 1
inch over the tops of the pans, about 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 350F 30 minutes before you are going to bake.

Beat the remaining egg until blended and brush the tops of the loaves with
it.  Bake the breads until well browned, rotating them, if necessary (you
know your oven). Remove the breads from the pans and allow to cool on a rack.

This bread is great for sandwiches and fantastic for toast.