Re:Viking range

Ed Okie <okie@digital.net>
Tue, 03 Apr 2001 10:52:00 -0400
v101.n021.12
At 12:56 AM 3/25/01 -0800, you wrote:
 >From: Julie Donnelly <jmdonnelly2000@yahoo.com>
 >Subject: Viking Range
 >Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 05:26:09 -0800 (PST)
 >
 >I'm seriously considering buying a 30" Viking
 >gas/convection range.  However, Amana is coming out
 >soon with a dual fuel range that will cost a fraction
 >as much.  I've read some comments in the list about
 >the Viking but need more.  Is it worth the money?

Consumer's Reports offered indepth insight on these high-end ranges, August
1999, pages 32-42. It's well worth digging out a copy (a local library
often has back issues). The July 2000 issue carried additional information
and opinions. Both are thought-provoking commentaries... that may help you
answer the "do I, or do I not wish to take "the big leap."

Something oft-forgotten with so-called "pro" ranges or cooktops (large
capacity is the prime advantage) is the requirement for a substantial hood
and ductwork venting - and that in itself can get expensive, or mandate a
significant kitchen remodeling; buying "the big range" isn't a one-issue
item; salesman are inclined to overlook this issue for obvious reasons.

The other fundamental question: smooth glasstop or impressive-looking
grates (electric versus gas). The smooth glasstop is a godsend for cleanup;
the grates... very time consuming to clean, and they need  cleaning often.

Another worthy question: "stainless steel" is very popular, today it's
decidedly trendy. Yes, stainless looks great and "professional" (whatever
that implies). But the surface is a genuine pain-in-the-butt to clean!

In a commercial kitchen (out of public view) that's not a big deal. But a
less than sparkling range in a deluxe kitchen at home, and probability says
it's going to be in an expensive home... isn't going to cut it unless the
stainless continually sparkles.

I suspect the answer comes down to: do you want to cook... or clean.

One thing is certain: with the so-called "pro" units... bring your wallet.

		- Ed Okie