Re: Digest bread-bakers.v101.n011

Ed Okie <okie@digital.net>
Sat, 03 Mar 2001 13:52:57 -0500
v101.n013.2
At 02:13 AM 3/3/01 -0800, you wrote:
 >From: "Alexandra Mahoney" <alexmotown@prodigy.net>
 >Subject: kneading surface
 >Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 22:35:22 -0800
 >
 >I'm making bread by hand these days and am having real trouble kneading
 >"without adding any extra flour," as Maggie Glezer recommends and as
 >artisan-style doughs generally require.  Using a bench knife is a nice
 >idea, but I still end up with sticky hands, no real fold-over in the dough,
 >and no kneading rhythm.

Too-wet dough sounds like the underlying problem, despite whatever recipe
you're following. A few variables:

Using electronic scales (grams) to measure ingredients may help, they're
far more accurate than volume measurements (plus it's easier, cleaner and
requires less tools).

Also, applying percentages to the water-to-flour ratio helps in the
understanding, and ability to easily modify a given recipe (60-68% is a
general range, flour taken as 100%.)

But, absolute measurements vary... depends on seasonal humidity and where
you live. Maggie's baking environment may not be the same as yours.

Another angle: flour's absorption of water. Maggie's flour may be different
than what you're using (it varies even within a given brand):
flour with a slightly lower protein level requires less water to arrive at
a given dough-consistency.

Why not simply back off on the percentage of water? Two percentage points
shift is a good starting point.

 > I am wondering what types of kneading surfaces people
 > have to help in this regard.
 > ... I thought I might just order TWO non-stick bench knives from King
 > Arthur and see if I could make up my own technique. . . .

Sticky dough is basically going to stick to almost anything, particularly
if you're not using flour, olive oil, etc., as a release agent.

A good bench knife is a major aid in handling wet dough (or any dough for
that matter). I find the that Oxo brand with a soft large black handle
(with stainless blade) is very comfortable to use, a non-stick model isn't
necessary, but may be a slight aid.

And if one blade doesn't do the trick... two won't be any better.

		- Ed Okie