Maple Oatmeal Bread

"Deb Strong-Napple" <debdesigns@hotmail.com>
Sun, 04 Mar 2001 13:44:23
v101.n012.23
Mike was looking for recipes with Maple Syrup.  My general advice is be
creative­take one of those recipes with honey and substitute maple syrup.
Or try using it as the sweetener in cinnamon rolls (cut back a bit on the
water). (Just remember if you use a substantial amount of syrup to make a
sweet bread, bake it at a lower temperature (like 350) so that it won't
burn.) I like the taste also, and following is a recipe that I have enjoyed.

The ingredients are for a bread machine, but I have only made it manually.
It tastes great!

Maple Oatmeal Bread

1 package yeast
1 cup quick cooking oats
3 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1-1/4 cups plus 1 Tablespoon warm water.

Manual: Dissolve the yeast in the water. Let sit until foamy. Warm the syrup
just a little bit--to 90 degrees or so. Mix together yeast and all other
ingredients (hold back 1 cup of flour). Mix well, then knead  in enough
flour to make a nice, elastic dough. Rise til doubled, punch down, shape
into a loaf, proof and bake.

Very nice flavor here­enjoy it.

Deb