Maple Gingerbread for Mike

Kejah@aol.com
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 14:52:43 EST
v101.n012.20
Here's one for ya, Mike.  I have accumulated quite a collection of
gingerbread recipes, and this is one of my favorites.  It's golden and
delicious and the flavor of the ginger really comes through without
molasses and a lot of other spices obscuring it.

I highly recommend using fresh grated ginger or the minced/crushed ginger
you can get in a jar in the produce section, rather than dried.  Needless
to say, you want to use real maple syrup in this, too, rather than
pancake/imitation syrup, but I'm sure that as a maple-lover you'd do that.
:-)

Maple Gingerbread
from "Baking Across America" by Arthur L. Meyer

1 tsp. dried ginger, or, preferably, 1 Tb. fresh grated ginger
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 cups flour
1 egg, beaten
1 cup sour cream
1 cup maple syrup

Mix wet ingredients together in one bowl and dry ingredients in a larger
bowl.  Combine the two and stir only until mixed. Turn into a greased 9 X 9
inch pan and bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

     Enjoy!
     Kris