alternative steam technique

Frank.Yuhasz@pentairpump.com
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 18:21:06 -0500
v101.n010.7
Another way to add steam to the oven when baking bread is to bake something else
simultaneously that generates steam.
Examples are to roast butternut squash or pumpkin, or bake a panful of apples
stuffed with raisins and other good things.
Unpeeled potatoes that have been sliced into lengthwise eighths can be tossed
with extra virgin olive oil, seasoned with dried oregano and sea salt, and
roasted until crispy and golden.  All of these can go in the oven at
temperatures from 350 to 400 or so, so they are relatively accomodating, yet
lend their moisture well, and you end up with another dish to serve along with
your fresh bread.

When I do this, there is so much steam billowing from the vent of my convection
oven that it would be quite easy to get a steam burn if you held your hand atop
the vent!

Happy Baking!
Carolyn